In this article, we'll show how to use our Google Analytics data source to display your Google Ads data on your Geckoboard dashboard.
Step 1: Connect your Google Ads account to your Google Analytics
Geckoboard can only pull Google Ads metrics through Google Analytics when you link your Ads to your Analytics account. If your Ads account isn’t connected properly, you won't see your data in Geckoboard.
Step 2: Build Ads widgets in Geckoboard with Google Analytics
We'll use our Google Analytics data source to create a dashboard widget displaying your Google Ads data.
- Click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard and select Google Analytics from the list of data sources.
- From the list of preset visualizations select the option to Build your own widget at the bottom of the list.
- Hover over your new widget on your dashboard and click the , then click to bring up the widget configuration menu.
- In the Metrics menu, look for the Adwords category of metrics and here you'll find all our Ads metrics. From the right hand menu, let's pick Cost. You'll now see a figure displayed on your number widget.
- You can then select your Time period. Choose from one of our presets, or you can also select a custom time period spanning days, weeks, months or years. Let's pick This month to see data for the month to date.
- If you want to see the Cost for a particular campaign or ad group, then you can select Filter results and filter out the specific ad group you want to see data for.
- You could then apply a Comparison to previous period or leave the number widget as is.
- If you want to break down the cost by another value, you can do this by switching the visualization. For example, we could switch to the leaderboard and group by 'adgroup' to see our most expensive ad groups this month.
- Or you could switch to the column chart with the horizontal axis set to Ad Distribution Network to show cost across your different channels.
- When you've finished configuring your widget, click outside of the menu to close it.
- Finally, hover over the widget and click Add a title to describe the data e.g. Ad Costs (This month).