The Geck-O-Meter is a gauge visualization that enables you to quickly see a metric in comparison to defined minimum and maximum values.
To create a Geck-O-Meter using spreadsheets, follow these steps:
- Use the Widget Selector, located in the top right of the Spreadsheets widget set-up screen, to change the widget type to Geck-O-Meter.
- Click in the Geck-O-Meter selection field.
- Select the data from your spreadsheet by either typing in a cell selection (e.g. B1:B11), or clicking and dragging over your desired cells in the Spreadsheet Data area. As you do this, the cells will highlight and you’ll see a live preview of your Geck-O-Meter.
The Series fields will take numeric data, along with currency symbols and % signs.
- Add an optional goal in the Goal field at the left of the screen by typing in the goal number or selecting a particular cell from the Spreadsheet Data area. Grey shading will be added to your Geck-O-Meter below the goal line to reflect this. If the Geck-O-Meter selection field is equal to or greater than the goal, the goal figure will turn green in color.
- Add a Min and a Max value to your Geck-O-Meter by typing in the number or selecting a particular cell from the Spreadsheet Data area. If no Min and/or Max values are added, your Geck-O-Meter will calculate it automatically using the lowest and highest value in the series.
- Give your widget a Title.
- When you’re happy with your Bar Chart, click
The Geck-O-Meter uses the last value in the series (i.e. last value in the selection) as current value. Which is the value the needle will point at.
More ways to visualize your spreadsheets
Now that you’re familiar with how to create a Geck-O-Meter, read our dedicated guides to creating the different visualizations available.
- Line Chart
Plots multiple series of values and visualize these trends over a period.
- Column Chart
Plots a series of data as vertical columns, with the option for individual labels for each column and a goal field, which can be set to highlight values above a specific target.
- Bar Chart
Plots a series of data in a horizontal bar chart, with the option for individual labels for each column and a goal field, which can be set to highlight values above a specific target.
- Number Widget
Consists of a single number pulled from a specified cell. Enables you to visually compare two figures with 4 comparison visualizations:
Displays a primary metric with a sparkline (a small line chart) below it.
Displays a primary metric with a percentage change value below it that compares the primary metric with a secondary number.
Displays a primary metric with a value change below it that is a calculation of the difference between the primary metric and a secondary number.
Displays a primary metric with a goal change below it that is a calculation of the difference between the primary metric and a secondary number.
Consists of a ranked list of items, each with a label and an optional value.
Displays non-numerical data from a cell, or multiple cells, in a spreadsheet.