To create a weather widget using Google Sheets, follow these steps:
- Make your own copy of this Google Sheet template.
- On cell
A2, enter your city as "
City, CO" where
Cityis the name of your city and
COis a two-letter code identifier of your state (if in the US), or a two-letter code identifier of your country (if outside of the US).
For a US city, you could enter
New York, NY
For a city outside the US, you could enter
Welwyn Garden City, UK
- Click on the Tools menu and select the option Script editor.
- You'll see a script. Click on the project's trigger's menu.
- Click the + Add Trigger button in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Set a trigger for the myFunction function, that runs from Head on a Time-driven source that's triggered on an Hourly timer.
- That will retrieve (on cells
E2) the weather for the city you entered on cell
A2on an hourly basis. You can use that weather data and Spreadsheets to build a text or column widget for your dashboard that will update hourly.
Now you'll know if you need the umbrella when leaving the office.