Google Sheets has a built-in function called ImportData which fetches data from a given url in CSV (comma-separated value) or TSV (tab-separated value) format.
We'll show you how this function can be used with our Spreadsheets integration to display visualizations out of CSV files on Geckoboard.
Build a dashboard from your spreadsheet data when you sign up for a free Geckoboard account.
Syntax of the ImportData function
The syntax of the ImportData function is
url is the url from which to fetch the CSV or TSV-formatted data, including protocol (e.g.
The value for
url must either be enclosed in quotation marks or be a reference to a cell containing the appropriate text.
Step-by-step example: Bitcoin exchange rate
In this example, we'll use the ImportData function and the Spreadsheets integration to display Bitcoin's historic price (in $USD) on a dashboard, but more generally CSV files can help adding all sorts of proprietary data.
Step 1: Export exchange rate database from Quandl
Quandl helps data analysts save time, effort and money by delivering high-quality financial and economic data in the precise format they need. In this example, we'll use data in CSV format from their API.
To export a CSV database from Quandl for this example, follow these steps:
- Go to Quandl.
- Use the Database browser to find Bitcoin's Spot Exchange Rates databases. We'll use Bitcoin Markets (bitfinexUSD) to demonstrate its usage.
- Once you find the database you are after, look for its Export Data menu on the right of your screen.
- Click on CSV and copy the link for this resource (in this case https://www.quandl.com/api/v3/datasets/BCHARTS/BITFINEXUSD.csv)
- You're now ready for Step 2!
Step 2: Import CSV file into Google Sheets
To import the CSV output from Quandl into Google Sheets, follow these steps:
- Open a new Google Sheet.
- Type the following formula into cell A1:
- Save your Google Sheet and give it a name.
Step 3: Use Spreadsheets to visualize the data in Geckoboard
With Bitcoin's exchange rate information in your Google Sheet, create a new Spreadsheets widget in Geckoboard to display this information on the dashboard.