Salesforce accounts are subject to a maximum number of API calls that can be made against Salesforce's servers in any 24-hour period. Calls will be blocked until usage for the preceding 24 hours drops below the limit.
When Geckoboard performs a widget refresh it polls Salesforce for the current status of that report. This polling activity consumes up to 3 API calls. If you have multiple widgets powered by the same report Geckoboard caches the data to avoid wasting API calls. For example, if you have 10 widgets powered by the same report, we'll only make 3 calls, rather than 30.
Ways to prevent exceeding your API request limit
Reduce how often Salesforce widgets update
Edit your Salesforce widgets to change the refresh rates. It'll also let you know how many API calls the widget will use per day. If you have a widget set up to visualize a report that updates only twice per day, you're better off refreshing only every 2.5 hours.
Purchase extra API calls
If you're still exceeding your API request quota it's possible you need a higher limit. For more information, contact your Salesforce account representative.
Limitations of Salesforce's Reports API
In addition to your Salesforce daily API limit, there are other requirements and limitations when using Salesforce's Reports API.
The following list highlights the most relevant limits:
- Your organization can request up to 1,200 asynchronous requests per hour.
- The API can process only reports that contain up to 100 fields selected as columns.
- A list of up to 200 recently viewed reports can be returned.
- Your org can request up to 500 synchronous report runs per hour.
- The API supports up to 20 synchronous report run requests at a time.
- A list of up to 2,000 instances of a report that was run asynchronously can be returned.
- The API supports up to 200 requests at a time to get results of asynchronous report runs.
- Asynchronous report run results are available within a 24-hour rolling period.
- The API returns up to the first 2,000 report rows. You can narrow results using filters.
- You can add up to 20 custom field filters when you run a report.
In addition to these, if your report is in jointed format, it will not be able to be displayed. Summary, tabular and matrix formatted reports are supported.