If you have a non-Chrome OS device, want to power two screens using the same Chrome OS device or want to use your Chrome OS device for more than Geckoboard, you should follow our general set-up instructions instead.
This article guides you through using our Send to TV feature to connect Chrome OS devices to Geckoboard. This includes our recommended device: the ASUS Chromebit.
Kiosk mode is ideal for
Displaying your dashboard on a wall.
One of the main reasons we recommend Chrome OS is the ability to use its Kiosk mode to launch your dashboard as soon as the device starts. This allows Geckoboard to relaunch automatically, without anyone having to intervene, should the computer reboot or lose power.
Kiosk mode can only be enabled when setting up a Chrome device for the first time. If you’ve previously set up your device, you will first need to Powerwash it. To do this, sign out of your Chrome device, press
R and follow the on-screen instructions.
Set up Kiosk mode
To set up Kiosk mode, follow these steps:
This will erase all data and restart setup.
- After booting your device, set the language, keyboard, and connect to WiFi.
- Before signing in, Press
Kfirst and click Enable.
If you miss this step you will have to Powerwash your device and re-run this set-up process.
- Sign in using your Google account.
- Open Chrome and go to the Webstore (chrome.google.com/webstore).
- Search for the Geckoboard extension, and install it.
- In Chrome, open a new tab and type chrome://extensions in the address bar.
- Tick Developer mode.
- In the list, locate the Geckoboard App ID (
kaiokjdncjfbkflmhagbokblchpcpdoh) and copy it to the clipboard.
- Click Manage kiosk applications.
- In the Add kiosk application field, paste the application ID from the clipboard and press Add.
- Now, hover over the item titled Geckoboard and click on Set to auto-launch. If you need to stop Geckoboard automatically booting in Kiosk mode press
Don't check Permanently keep this device in kiosk mode. It’s not necessary and will prevent you from being able to use your Chrome device for other purposes.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, click on the clock to bring up the corner menu and click on the power button to shut down the device.
- Once the device is powered down, press any button on the keyboard to power it back on. Click on the "Confirm" button at the prompt to allow the Kiosk app to run automatically when the device starts. The device should now boot directly into kiosk mode and open the Kiosk app.
If you need to stop Geckoboard automatically booting in Kiosk mode press
S at bootup.
Connecting your Chrome OS device to Geckoboard
To connect your Chrome OS device, follow these steps.
- After setting up your device to boot with Geckoboard, you should see a pairing code on your screen.
- On your regular computer, log into Geckoboard and click in the top right corner of your screen.
- Enter your passcode in the window that appears.
- The screen is now connected and should be displaying the dashboard you’re currently on.
To change which dashboard or dashboard loop is displayed or to connect more devices, click .