When you use your Google Drive account to connect your Google Sheets to Geckoboard, you can indirectly give access to your Google Drive spreadsheets to anyone else invited to your Geckoboard account. This can become an issue if there are spreadsheets you don't want to share.
One solution is to create a direct download link which will allow you to continue updating your Google Sheet as before. To do this, follow these steps:
- Create a sharing link of your Google Sheet.
You may need to enable link sharing first. You'll need to set it to any one of the following sharing permission levels:
On - Anyone with link can view
On - Anyone with link can edit
On - Public on the web can view
On - Public on the web can edit
- Now to create the sharing link. We recommend using this link generator tool to receive a direct download link. But first we need to change the URL because this link will download in PDF format by default.
- To make it download in
.xlsxformat, change the end of the URL from
Here's an example sharing link generated from Google Sheets:
Example URL generated by the tool (set to .pdf download by default):
Example final Geckoboard-friendly link in .xlsx download format:
- Now you're ready to use the edited link in Geckoboard. First, hover your mouse pointer over the widget you want to edit.
- Click the in the top right corner.
- On the pop-up menu, Click .
- On the edit widget screen's breadcrumbs menu, click the downward arrow beside the name of your widget.
- Click .
- From the Choose File menu, click on the link icon.
- Copy and Paste your URL in the Link to file field.
- Repeat for any other widgets powered by this Google Sheet. You can now continue updating your Google Sheet as before and it will automatically sync with Geckoboard via the generated link.