If you can't find the service you want to connect to Geckoboard, or the particular metric you want to display within our pre-built data sources, you can try using Zapier and Geckoboard together. Zapier connects with over 3,000 different services, so this could be an option to explore.
With Zapier and Geckoboard you can track events, as well as insights and trends. Both type requires their own specific approach.
To explain how to track events, we'll create an example widget displaying the last message posted to a particular Slack channel.
- On your Zapier dashboard, click Make a Zap. A Zap is an automated workflow that connects your apps and services together. Every Zap consists of a trigger step and one or more action steps.
- On the Choose App & Event screen, search for Slack, then click on the Slack option to continue.
- From the Choose Trigger Event dropdown list, select New Message Posted to Channel, then click Continue.
- If you're using Slack with Zapier for the first time, you'll now have to connect your Slack account to Zapier.
Click Allow on the request permission screen.
- With all the fields complete, click Continue.
- Select the Slack channel that you want to display the last message from, then choose whether bot messages should be included.
You'll next be encouraged to test the data.
- Next, on the App & Event screen, search for Geckoboard, then click on the Geckoboard option to continue.
- From the Choose Action Event dropdown list, select Update text, then click Continue.
- If you're using Geckoboard with Zapier for the first time, you'll now have to connect your Geckoboard account to Zapier.
In the pop-up window, enter your Geckoboard API key.
- In the customize text window, click Text to select the text you want to send to the text widget.
From the options select Text.
- Now return to Geckoboard. Hover your cursor over the empty dashboard square you would like to position your widget and click the + button.
Alternatively, click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- Search for Custom Widget using the Search sources field.
Alternatively, you can also scroll down the alphabetical list of integrations until you reach the Custom Widget option.
- Click on the Custom Widget legacy data source.
- Choose the Text widget from the list.
- After giving your widget Title, set the method to Push.
- Click to return to your dashboard.
- On the newly created widget, click the Copy Widget Key link.
- Return to Zapier, and paste the copied widget key into the corresponding field.
- Select a display type for the widget: either Normal, Alert or Info. Now click Continue.
- You'll next be encouraged to perform a test to see if everything's working.
- When it's ready you can turn your Zap on and see your finished Slack widget on your dashboard.
These are the different key metrics and trends that you want to track in your business.
- Setting up the Zap will be similar to the previous method. We'll then instead feed the results into Google Sheets.
- Google Sheets provides many powerful functions. You can use those functions to calculate and crunch the numbers within the spreadsheet itself and get the particular metrics that you're interested in.
- Then, using our Spreadsheets data source, you can display those metrics on your dashboards.
If you have any questions about using Zapier and Geckoboard or need help with any Google Sheets functions or calculations, please get in touch,