The Text widget is used to display non-numerical data from a cell, or multiple cells, in a spreadsheet.
To create a a Text widget using spreadsheets, follow these steps:
- Use the Widget Selector, located in the top right of the Spreadsheets widget set-up screen, to change the widget type to Text.
Note: Selecting Ignore the first selected cell will stop the first selected cell from being displayed in the Text widget (this is deselected by default).
- Click in the Text selection field.
- Select the data from your spreadsheet by either typing in a cell selection (e.g. A1), or clicking and dragging over your desired cells in the Spreadsheet Data area. As you do this, the cells will highlight and you’ll see a live preview of your Text widget.
- If you select more than one cell, you can either:
Select Last message to only display the last cell in your selection (if you have A1:A10 selected, only the message in cell A10 will be displayed).
Select Loop messages to display up to 5 cells of data in a loop. The Spreadsheet Data area highlights the cells that will be looped in a darker green. In this case, if you have A1:A10 selected, the messages in cells A6:A10 will be displayed.
You can click through the slider to check each of your messages, or these will cycle automatically in the Live Preview.
- Change the widget size from the default (1x1) to the appropriate size for your Text widget.
- Give your widget a Title.
- When you’re happy with your Text widget, click Add to dashboard
More ways to visualize your spreadsheets
Now that you’re familiar with how to create a text widget, read our dedicated guides to creating the different visualizations available.
- Line Chart
Plots multiple series of values and visualize these trends over a period.
- Column Chart
Plots a series of data as vertical columns, with the option for individual labels for each column and a goal field, which can be set to highlight values above a specific target.
- Bar Chart
Plots a series of data in a horizontal bar chart, with the option for individual labels for each column and a goal field, which can be set to highlight values above a specific target.
- Number Widget
Consists of a single number pulled from a specified cell. Enables you to visually compare two figures with 4 comparison visualizations:
Displays a primary metric with a sparkline (a small line chart) below it.
Displays a primary metric with a percentage change value below it that compares the primary metric with a secondary number.
Displays a primary metric with a value change below it that is a calculation of the difference between the primary metric and a secondary number.
Displays a primary metric with a goal change below it that is a calculation of the difference between the primary metric and a secondary number.
Consists of a ranked list of items, each with a label and an optional value.
A gauge visualization to quickly see a metric in comparison to defined minimum and maximum values.