This article explains how you can use Spreadsheets and the table visualization to display milestones on your dashboard.
The Google Sheet used in this example is available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pR0lgNvFncAEbjpAB8jaho1d9E5eZhj2DVs9OPuV7b0
Setting up your milestones
In a new Google Sheet or Excel sheet follow these steps:
- Add columns to report progress against your milestones. In this example, we'll use Status, Milestone, Percentage Completion, All Tasks and Text. But you can use all sorts of ways to communicate progress.
- Agree on a notation to display Status. We suggest: ✅ for "done", ⛔️ for "no progress / not started", and 🚌 for "in progress"
- Add your Milestones to the Google Sheet or Excel worksheet by filling every column you want to report.
To improve the space efficiency of the table, rather than dedicating a different column to each piece of information you can join them together by concatenating the text (using the ‘&’ symbol).
The result would be
✅ Milestone 1 [10 of 10]
✅ Milestone 1 10 10
There's all sorts of other tricks you can do with formulas, for example automatically changing the state depending on what’s left, changing the ordering based on status, or including an overall count of what’s left as a number widget.
- Use our Spreadsheets integration to connect the Google Sheet or Excel worksheet to Geckoboard
- Select the table visualization and choose the columns you want to display on your dashboard.