In this walkthrough, we'll show you how to use our Spreadsheets data source to display a daily inspirational quote on your dashboard. To do this, we'll be using They Said So, which offers API access to its quotes platform.
- To begin, load our prepared Google sheet that has used ImportXML to fetch the quote and its author.
- Make your own copy of the spreadsheet using File > Make a copy.
- From the ImportXML URLs in cells
B2you can see we've chosen the
inspirequote category, but this can be changed to
- Switch to Geckoboard. Click Add widget in the top right of your dashboard.
- You'll see a scrollable list of data sources. Click Google Sheets.
- From the Choose File menu, search for, and select, the spreadsheet you want to connect to Geckoboard.
- With your spreadsheet connected, click to select the concatenated cell
B3. Click .
- From the the visualization options, click on the highlighted Text icon.
- On the next screen you'll see a preview of your widget. Click to return to your dashboard.
- Finally, hover over your new widget and add a title like "Quote of the day" by clicking Add a title.