Use Zapier and Datasets to display Asana project metrics on your Geckoboard dashboard.
Step 1: Create a new dataset in Geckoboard
Create a new dataset in Geckoboard that matches the data types of a typical Asana project.
- Add a new Datasets widget. On the connection panel, click .
- Give the dataset a name. Keep to lowercase letters, digits and no spaces. We don't support unicode characters in dataset or field names.
- Now add the schema fields that correspond to the data types that make up a typical Asana project. Of the 7 types of fields available, you'll only need String (for task name, assignee, priority and project name) and Datetime (for when the task was completed). Be aware that strings have a limit of 256 characters. As not every Asana task requires an assignee or a priority set, tick the Set as optional checkbox for these fields. Learn more about using empty/null fields.
- When you've finished configuring your fields, click . With your dataset created, we'll switch to Zapier to connect our new dataset to a Zap.
Step 2: Create a Zap that connects Asana to your dataset
Make a new Zap in Zapier that connects both your Asana and Geckoboard accounts, before linking it to your new dataset.
- Make a new Zap in Zapier. In the first Trigger step, search for and select Asana.
- Next, we'll set up our trigger event. From the drop-down list, select Completed Task. This will trigger an update whenever task is is completed in Asana.
- Connect to, and select, your Asana account. Then click Continue.
- Locate the Asana Workspace and Project you want to connect to.
- Click Test trigger. Zapier will attempt to find an entry from your project to use in the Zap.
- With your trigger now set up, we'll now add an action to your Zap. Actions are events your Zap performs when your trigger event occurs. Search for and select Geckoboard.
- Click the Action Event drop-down list and select Add Record to Dataset. Then, click Continue.
- Connect to, and select, your Geckoboard account. You'll need to access your Geckoboard API key. Then click Continue.
- Under Dataset ID, select your new dataset.
- You'll now see all the schema fields for your dataset. Click each one and select the corresponding field from your Asana project.
- The Update Type dropdown menu is set to Add to existing records (Post) by default. If you've added fields to a unique key, this can be used to modify existing records in case their values have changed since your last update or if you want to fix an incorrect record.
- Click Test & Continue. In this test Zapier will attempt to send a record to your dataset. You're now ready to click Turn on Zap.
- Finally, return to Geckoboard and add a new dataset widget. As you configure your Asana widget you'll see the live preview update. With the survey submission IDs and datetimes, you can quickly build visualizations that show the number of submissions, either as a total or charted over time. For more on configuring datasets widgets, see create visualizations from datasets.