What is a connection?
A connection is a link between Geckoboard and other services. Connections are used to interact with services we integrate such as Google Sheets. Administrators can manage connections.
How do I create connections?
There are two ways to create connections:
- When you create a widget that uses one of our pre-built integrations for the first time, you’ll be asked to create a connection to pull in your data. Upon authenticating, a connection is created.
- When editing a widget from one of our pre-built integrations, you can add new connections. This is particularly useful when you manage or monitor more than one account on a particular service. For example if you have two or more Facebook pages and use Geckoboard to keep track of them all.
When are connections used?
Connections are used when you set up widgets. Before you can configure a widget, this needs to reach your data. That's why the first step when creating or editing widgets (from pre-built integrations) is choosing the connection that will be used.
How do I see which connections have been created?
To view the list of connections you've created:
- Login to your Geckoboard account
- In the top right corner, click your initials and from the drop-down, select 'Account'
- Click 'Connections'
Note 1: We strongly suggest removing connections that are no longer needed. This way you can easily identify which connections are in use.
Note 2: By default, deleting a connection, will delete the associated widgets as well. If you want to retain the widgets, make sure to uncheck the option when deleting the connection.
How do I update a connection?
1) At times, your connections may be expiring and we'll send you an email notification. The email will contain the link from where you can reconnect. It's the same 'Connections' tab mentioned above. Simply click on the 'Reconnect' button and authenticate your account again.
2) It may also happen that your connections expire for other reasons e.g. if you change your password for Google. If the 'Reconnect' button mentioned above isn't available, you'll need to create a new connection and link your existing widgets to it.
You can find how to create new connections here.
If you have a lot of widgets that need to be switched to the new connection, please get in touch with our support team and we'll be happy to do it from our end (thus saving you some time).