Every now and then customers ask us for rotating images to add some fun and life to their dashboards. This article explains a fun way of doing this.
File Roulette is an app developed by Geckoboard's Daniel Upton that gives you a special URL that will return a different file in your Dropbox every time you visit it (either randomly or in sequence).
To create a widget that displays a new image after every refresh, follow these steps:
- On your dashboard, click Add widget.
- Search for Image using the Search sources field.
Alternatively, you can also scroll down the alphabetical list of integrations until you reach the Image widget.
- Click the Image widget.
- Give it a Title.
- Next load file-roulette.com in a new browser tab or window.
- Click Log in With Dropbox.
- Dropbox will ask you to allow File Roulette access to a folder.
- You should be presented with 2 URLs (one for Random order, and the other for “Round Robin” order). Copy one of these to your clipboard.
- Return to your Image widget config and Paste the URL path.
- Select a Reload time.
- Click .
- And you're done!