What's a widget?
For each integration there are one or more key types of data that can be pulled in and displayed on your dashboard. To do this we use widgets, or the building blocks of your dashboard.
Widgets visualize the data you pull in from our integrations. Our widgets come in the form of simple text, figures, graphs, maps, and everything in between. A typical dashboard may include several widgets that pull in data from several integrations.
To create a new widget for your dashboard, follow these steps:
Before you start
Is the widget you're about to create similar or identical to one you’ve already added and configured? You can easily and rapidly make copies of a widget.
- Hover your cursor over the dashboard square you would like to position your widget and click the + button.
Alternatively, click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- You'll see a scrollable list of Integrations. Scroll down to the integration you wish to connect to, or search using the Search sources field.
- Click on your chosen integration.
- Depending on your chosen integration you'll either see a scrollable list of preset visualizations:Or you'll see a gallery of available widgets:Some integrations also have an option to Build your own widget from scratch.
- Click on your chosen widget.
- Pulling data from a cloud service for the first time? You might be asked to log in to create a connection to Geckoboard. Each integration has its own authentication process.
Usually this is something you only need to do once per integration, but a service like Facebook, for example, needs to be reconnected to Geckoboard every 30 days.
You’ll now be prompted to authenticate the service you’re connecting to.
- Now you can configure the options specific to the widget you’re setting up in order to define what data should be pulled through and how it should be displayed.
Suggested next step
Browse our Getting Data In section for detailed articles on how to configure widgets using our native integrations, spreadsheets, and datasets.
Get started with Geckoboard
Getting to grips with Geckoboard? This article is part of a series introducing you to all the ways that Geckoboard can help you broadcast live business metrics, KPIs and goals to your team in an easy-to-understand way.