In this article, we'll show how to use our Facebook Ads data source to display information from your Facebook Ads data on your Geckoboard dashboard.
Create a new Facebook Ads widget
Before you start
Make sure that the Facebook account you're using to connect to Geckoboard has been granted a role in Business Manager for both the ad account and Facebook Page associated with that ad account. Read more about about Business Manager roles and permissions.
To create a Facebook Ads widget, follow these steps:
- Hover your cursor over the empty dashboard square you would like to position your widget and click the + button.
Alternatively, click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- Search for Facebook Ads using the Search sources field.
Alternatively, you can also scroll down the alphabetical list of integrations until you reach the Facebook Ads integration.
- Click on the Facebook Ads integration.
- Choose an option from the list of preset visualizations or select the option to Build your own widget from the bottom left of the list.
Is this is your first Facebook Ads widget? You'll need to connect your Facebook account to Geckoboard.
If not, you can skip to configuring your Facebook Ads widget.
When adding your first Facebook Ads widget, you'll be asked to create a connection and authenticate your Facebook account so that we're able to collect your data and display it on the dashboard. You only need to create this connection once – we'll take care of the rest.
To connect your Facebook account with Geckoboard, follow these steps:
- Click on the
If you're not logged in to Facebook, a pop-up window will appear and allow you to log in for account authorization.
button.Our Facebook Ads integration uses oAuth to connect to Facebook, so if you're already logged into Facebook on your browser, you will jump straight to the widget configuration screen after a few seconds.
- You're now ready to configure your first Facebook Ads widget!
To connect a different Facebook account to the one you've already connected to Geckoboard, see connect multiple accounts to data sources.
The widget configuration screen enables you to select the metrics you want to show, as well as choosing the visualization you'd like to use and adding any filters to the data.
You'll see a preview of the widget as you create it. This will use real data from your Facebook account.
Each time you make a change you'll see a message at the bottom left of the preview to indicate whether we're still collecting this data or whether it's complete.
To configure your Facebook Ads widget, follow these steps:
- Use the dropdown menu to select the Metric you'd like to display.
- Select the visualization you want to use from the options below the metrics.
Not all visualizations are appropriate for all metrics and we will only show the visualizations that will be able to provide data for your chosen metric(s).
Using appropriate visualizations can make a world of difference while consuming your dashboards and can help inspire action. We’ve created this handy flowchart which makes it easy to identify the best visualization for the metric you're looking to display.
- Select a Time value that you'd like to see data for.
You can choose to track the Past 7, 14, 28, 30, or 90 days. You can also show the calendar day (Today) and This Week, Month, Quarter, or Year in progress. It's also possible to use a Custom timeframe.
- If you're using a line chart or number widget, you may want to show a comparison to the same metric over the previous time period.
A number widget can have either a comparison or a goal but not both. If you add a goal, the comparison will no longer be visible.
- You may need to Group your data by a particular value in order to create a chart, leaderboard or table so that we know which values to use for rows or labels or for the horizontal axis of a chart.
- If you're creating a line or column chart, and haven't chosen additional metrics to compare, you may want to split the data.
It is only possible to use the Split by option when looking at a single metric.
As with additional metrics, the maximum number of columns available is 3 and the maximum number of line chart series is 9. If more than this is available, you will not see all of the available data.
- Add any optional Filters to refine this data and click on the
When adding filters, you'll be taken to a new menu and can choose a filter from the dropdown options and a value that you'd like this filter to match. Most filters allow you to select that it is or is not a specific value or that the filtered option has any value or has no value.
Time based filters, such as Created at allow you to select a timeframe of the Past 7, 14, 28, 30, or 90 days. Additionally, you can filter by Today and This week, Month, Quarter, or Year.
- If necessary, enable the option to set a Goal and fill in your goal value. You can also specify whether it's a Less than or More than goal.If the metric is a duration, you'll need to complete the goal in days, hours and minutes in the separate boxes for each.
If you're using a number widget with a comparison, this will be disabled when you add the goal. It's not possible to show both a comparison and a goal within a number widget.
- You can use the Fine-tune Menu to change the number of decimal places used or add additional information about the values being displayed. Instructions for this are available here.
- And you're done! Click anywhere outside the menu to exit.
Presets for Facebook Ads widgets
|Number of active campaigns||Number||Now||All campaigns that are currently running.|
|Number of active ad sets||Number||Now||All ad sets that are currently running.|
|Reach on Instagram||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Number of people who saw your ads on Instagram at least once.|
|Reach on Facebook||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Number of people who saw your ads on Facebook at least once.|
|Frequency in the last 7 days||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Average number of times each person saw your ad.|
|Unique clicks (all)||Number||Today||Number of people who performed a click (all).|
|Unique CTR (all)||Number||Today||Percentage of times people saw your ad and performed a click (all).|
|Amount spent in last 7 days||Number||Last 7 days including today||Estimated total amount of money you've spent.|
|CPC on Instagram||Number||Last 7 days including today||Average cost for each click (all) on Instagram.|
|CPC on Facebook||Number||Last 7 days including today||Average cost for each click (all) on Facebook.|
|Purchase ROAS||Number||Last 7 days including today||Total return on ad spend (ROAS) from purchases. This is based on the value that you assigned when you set up the purchase event.|
|Cost per completed registration||Number||Last 7 days including today||Average cost of a completed registration.|
|Cost per purchase||Number||Last 7 days including today||Average cost of a purchase.|
|Cost per lead||Number||Last 7 days including today||Average cost of a lead.|
|Number of completed registrations||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Completed registrations that are attributed to your ads.|
|Number of purchases||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Purchases that are attributed to your ads.|
|Number of leads||Geckometer||Last 7 days including today||Leads that are attributed to your ads.|
|Value of completed registrations||Number||Last 7 days including today||Value of all completed registrations attributed to your ads.|
|Value of purchases||Number||Last 7 days including today||Value of all purchases attributed to your ads.|
|Value of leads||Number||Last 7 days including today||Value of all leads attributed to your ads.|
|Number of app installs||Number||Last 7 days including today||Mobile app installs attributed to your ads.|
|Number of leads from a lead form||Number||Last 7 days including today||Leads collected through lead form ads.|
|Number of 3-second video views||Number||Last 7 days including today||Times your video ads were watched for at least 3 seconds.|
It is possible to edit these presets to present the data in a way that works for your needs. You can also select the option to Build your own widget and display other metrics, timeframes or ways of grouping or splitting the data.
Which metrics and visualizations are available?
- Number of active campaigns
- Number of active ad sets
- Unique impressions
- Unique CTR
- Relevance score
- Amount spent
- CPM (cost per 1000 impressions)
- CPP (cost per 1000 people reached)
- Unique CPC (all)
- Purchase ROAS (return on ad spend)
- Number of completed registrations
- Number of purchases
- Number of leads
- Number of subscribes
- Cost per completed registration
- Cost per purchase
- Cost per lead
- Cost per subscribe
- Value of completed registration
- Value of purchases
- Value of leads
- Value of subscribes
- Number of <custom conversions>
- Cost per <custom conversion>
- Value of <custom conversions>
- Link clicks
- App installs
- Page engagements
- Post engagements
- Leads from lead form
- 3-second video views
Facebook Ads widgets refresh rate
Visualizations powered by the Facebook Ads integration refresh every 10 minutes.