Our Spreadsheets integration is a quick and easy way to transform your Excel files into beautiful dashboards. In this article, you'll connect and push data from your Excel spreadsheet hosted in Sharepoint.
Before you start
If your spreadsheet data has been imported from a third-party service (e.g. Google Analytics, Salesforce, Zendesk, etc.), check if we have a pre-built integration for it. They are by far the easiest way to quickly get your data onto your dashboards, with each integration containing a comprehensive list of widgets with predefined KPIs, making things even easier for you.
Alternatively, if you’re looking for complete control over how your data is displayed, you can use our Datasets API to send data from a database or third-party service to your dashboards.
To connect your Excel file from Sharepoint, follow these steps.
- Click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- You'll see a scrollable list of Integrations. Click .
- From the Choose File menu, click on the link icon.
.xlsxfile extension is supported for Excel files.
The file size limit for uploaded spreadsheets is 5 MB.
- If you haven't already, you'll need to generate a direct download link in Sharepoint.
In Sharepoint, right-click the file you want to share, then select Share.
- In the pop-up window that appears, select Get a link.
- From the drop-down list of access levels, select View link – no sign-in required. This will allow Geckoboard to access the file.
If you can't see the option View link – no sign-in required in the drop-down list, you may need to enable external anonymous sharing on a site collection.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Head to your Sharepoint Admin Center.
- Click on Site collections.
- Select the Site collection where you file is located.
- Click Sharing to display the external sharing options.
- Make sure that the option is set to Allow sharing with all existing users, and by using anonymous access links.
Every setup is different, so we can't guarantee these steps can be replicated. Your site admin might be able to help you.
Alternatively, you may also find these links helpful:
- Click Create.
- Under View Only, click Create Link.
- The generated link will look like the following URL:
- Copy and Paste your generated link into a browser or text editor and replace the
download.aspx. Your URL will now look like:
- Return to Geckoboard, in the Link to file field, enter the link to your hosted
.xlsxfile. Our integration will do the rest.
- And that’s it! You're now ready to prepare a visualization using your spreadsheet data.
Each time you make changes to your hosted
.xlsxspreadsheet in sharepoint, those changes will automatically sync with Geckoboard through the generated link. You'll be able to see your changes on your dashboard when the widget refreshes (every 15 minutes).