In this article, we'll show how to use our Freshdesk data source to display data from your Freshdesk customer support software on your Geckoboard dashboard.
Presets for Freshdesk widgets
|Metric||Labels for values or horizontal axis||Timeframe||Visualization|
|First response time||Average First response time (calendar)||Past 7 days||Number (time)|
|Resolution time||Average Resolution time (calendar)||Past 7 days||Number (time)|
|Ticket volume||Received tickets||Past 28 days||Line chart|
|Unassigned tickets||Received tickets (Agent has no value)||Past 30 days||Number|
|Customer Satisfaction||% positive ratings||Past 28 days||Number (percentage)|
|Tickets by category||Received tickets||Status||Past 7 days||Bar chart|
|Top ticket solvers||Resolved tickets||Agent||Past 7 days||Leaderboard|
It is possible to edit these presets to present the data in a way that works for your needs. You can also select the option to Build your own widget and display other metrics, timeframes or ways of grouping or splitting the data.
Create a new Freshdesk widget
To create a Freshdesk widget, follow these steps:
- Hover your cursor over the empty dashboard square you would like to position your widget and click the + button.
Alternatively, click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- Search for Freshdesk using the Search sources field.
Alternatively, you can also scroll down the alphabetical list of integrations until you reach the Freshdesk integration.
- Click on the Freshdesk integration.
- Choose an option from the list of preset visualizations or select the option to Build your own widget from the bottom left of the list.
Is this is your first Freshdesk widget?
You'll need to connect your Freshdesk account to Geckoboard.
If not, you can skip to configuring your Freshdesk widget.
Create a connection with Freshdesk
When adding your first Freshdesk widget, you'll be asked to create a connection and authenticate your Freshdesk account so that we're able to collect your data and display it on the dashboard. You only need to create this connection once – we'll take care of the rest.
You must have Admin level credentials in Freshdesk to successfully authenticate.
To connect your Freshdesk account with Geckoboard, follow these steps:
- The authentication box will ask you to enter the subdomain and API key of your Freshdesk account account. The subdomain can be found from your login details. For example, if you log in to Freshdesk at https://mycompany.freshdesk.com, your subdomain is mycompany.
With regards to the API key, this article explains how to find it.
- Click on the button.
- You're now ready to configure your first Freshdesk widget!
To connect a different Freshdesk account to the one you've already connected to Geckoboard, see connect multiple accounts to data sources.
The widget configuration screen enables you to select the visualization you'd like to use, as well as choosing the metrics you want to show and adding any filters to the data.
Your widget will update on your dashboard as you create it. This will use real data from your Freshdesk account.
To configure your Freshdesk widget, follow these steps:
- Click the downward arrow beside the title to select the Metric you'd like to display.
- For some metrics, we'll need additional information on how you would like the metric to be presented. In these cases, an additional dropdown will appear above the metric name and you can select the value you're looking for.
- If you're creating a line or column chart, or a table, you may wish to compare more than one metric within the same chart. You can choose Select multiple... from the dropdown Metric menu to select extra metrics to visualize. Once this has been done you can use the
It is only possible for us to compare metrics which are measuring the same type of value. It is not possible to compare a percentage with a duration on the same chart, for example.
button below the dropdown menu to add more metrics.
- Select the visualization you want to use from the options below the metrics.Not all visualizations are appropriate for all metrics and we will only show the visualizations that will be able to provide data for your chosen metric(s).
Using appropriate visualizations can make a world of difference while consuming your dashboards and can help inspire action. We’ve created this handy flowchart which makes it easy to identify the best visualization for the metric you're looking to display.
- Select a Time value that you'd like to see data for.
You can choose to track the Past 7, 14, 28, 30, or 90 days. You can also show the calendar day (Today) and This Week, Month, Quarter, or Year in progress. It's also possible to use a Custom timeframe.
We always count the week as beginning on a Monday in this Freshdesk integration.
- If you are using a line chart or number widget, you may want to show a comparison to the same metric over the previous time period.
A number widget can have either a comparison or a goal but not both. If you add a goal, the comparison will no longer be visible.
- If you're creating a line or column chart, and haven't chosen additional metrics to compare, you may want to split the data, for example to show performance for particular groups or agents within the same chart.
It is only possible to use the Split by option when looking at a single metric.
The maximum number of columns available is 3 and the maximum number of line chart series is 9. If more than this is available, you will not see all of the available data.
- You may need to Group your data by a particular value in order to create a chart or leaderboard so that we know which values to use for rows or labels or for the horizontal axis of a chart. For example, it's possible to see many of these metrics calculated for particular agents or tags as well as showing them by time.
This option is expressed in different ways for different visualizations:
- Add any optional Filters to refine this data and click on the
When adding filters, you'll be taken to a new menu and can choose a filter from the dropdown options and a value that you'd like this filter to match.
Most filters allow you to select that it is or is not a specific value or that the filtered option has any value or has no value. Time based filters, such as Created at allow you to select a timeframe of the Past 7, 14, 28, 30, or 90 days. Additionally you can filter by Today and This week, Month, Quarter, or Year.
It is possible to assign multiple values to the same filter but not to use the same filter more than once within the same widget. You could see the same data by filtering to show only those values that the data is or to show only those values that the data is not but you could not choose both of these options.
If you'd like to see only tickets with High and Urgent as their priority level, you could apply the filter Status is and the options High and Urgent, or you could apply the filter Status is not and the options Low and Medium.
- It is possible to assign multiple values to the same filter but not to use the same filter more than once within the same widget. You could see the same data by filtering to show only those values that the data is or to show only those values that the data is not but you could not choose both of these options.
- If necessary, enable the option to set a Goal and fill in your goal value. You can also specify whether it's a Less than or More than goal. If the metric is a duration, you'll need to complete the goal in days, hours and minutes in the separate boxes for each.
If you are using a number widget with a comparison, this will be disabled when you add the goal. It is not possible to show both a comparison and a goal within a number widget.
- You can use the Fine-tune Menu to change the number of decimal places used or add additional information about the values being displayed. Instructions for this are available here.
- And you're done! Click anywhere outside the menu to exit.
Which metrics are available in this integration?
The following metrics are currently available in the Freshdesk integration:
- Number of received tickets.
- Number of resolved tickets.
- Percentage of positive ratings.
- Average (mean), Median, Maximum, Minimum & Sum:
- First response time (calendar).
- Resolution time (calendar).
If you're not sure which metrics to track, you might be interested in our SaaS Metrics Generator, which can help you find the right metrics and learn more about them.