- Selecting the appropriate hardware
- Using our Screens feature to connect and manage your TVs
- Other considerations
At Geckoboard, we believe that the most effective way to focus your team is by prominently displaying their key metrics on TVs in your workplace. Sharing metrics like this makes it easy for anyone to understand what’s important to your company and how you’re doing against your goals, which helps direct everyone’s energy towards your success.
Our Screens feature makes it really easy for you to get your dashboards up on the wall: you simply go to a webpage on the TV to receive a passcode which then needs to be entered in the Screens feature in Geckoboard. That’s it! Best of all, this establishes a connection between your Geckoboard account and your TV which lets you change the dashboard being displayed without ever having to touch the TV itself.
On top of that, we’ve created an app for Chrome OS which will make sure that your screen is always showing your dashboard, even if the power’s switched off and everything has to restart. The Chrome OS app offers a complete ‘set it and forget it’ experience, and is the best way to set up your office dashboards.
Selecting the appropriate hardware
There are two important decisions to make when planning your setup:
- Which device should power your screen
- Which screen should display your dashboard
Choosing a device
If you don't have a Chromebit you can of course use a different device, but it must have:
- A modern browser installed e.g. Chrome or Firefox updated to latest version (IE9 and below and stock Android browsers are not supported)
- At least 512MB of memory
- Support for full screen mode
- HDMI output or proper cable for your screen
- The ability to connect to a wireless network
Choosing a screen
There are no firm requirements for choosing a screen. We recommend using the largest screen possible as it will make your data easy to read from a distance.
Our dashboards scale to fill the space you give them, so we can support 4K as well as HD displays.
If you’re using a Smart TV, we still recommend using an external device to run Geckoboard. Smart TV web browsers are typically underpowered and not up to date, so we can't guarantee things will run smoothly.
Using our Screens feature to connect and manage your TVs
Note: "Screens" is available to all subscribers on our current Starter, Growth and Company plans. If you're on a grandfathered plan and want to use this feature, you'll need to switch to one of our newer plans.
If you’re using our recommended device, or another Chrome OS device, you should follow these instructions instead
Set-up for any compatible device and browser
- On the device that is connected to your screen, open a browser and go to gbrd.tv
- You should now see a pairing code on your screen
- On a different device, login to Geckoboard and click "Screens"
- Enter your pairing code on the screen that appears (if you already have screens paired, you'll need to click “Add new screen” first)
- The screen is now paired and should be displaying the dashboard you’re currently on. You can choose a different dashboard or dashboard loop to display using the drop menu
For your dashboard display to have the most impact, it’s important that you chose its position wisely. After all, they should be visible at a glance for everyone involved with improving the metrics they display. If you are looking for inspiration or ideas as to where to put your dashboard in your office, we’d recommend reading this article.