Geckoboard Snapshots for Slack allows you to schedule a daily dashboard screenshot to your chosen Slack channel – ideal for remote team members.
Connecting the Share to Slack app to a public channel
To schedule a dashboard snapshot on a public Slack channel, follow these steps:
Before you start
If you connected Geckoboard with Slack before 2nd June 2020, you'll first need to disconnect.
This will remove any scheduled posts you've set up so far, and you'll need to recreate them after reconnecting.
- While logged into Geckoboard, navigate to the dashboard you wish to share periodically in Slack.
- On the navigation menu, Click .
- In the Share panel, click the tab. You might have to refresh the page if the tab appears empty at first.
- If you haven't already, create a sharing link for the dashboard. Our Slack app will use this link for the snapshots of the dashboard.
Share links are hash URLs which makes them unique and impossible to guess. Additionally, we block search engines from accessing share links on Geckoboard.
- To connect your Slack workspace, click .
- Select a Channel and a Daily schedule time for the snapshot.
- To finish, click .
Additional steps when connecting to a private channel
When scheduling a dashboard snapshot on a private Slack channel, follow these additional steps:
- Once connected to Slack, go to the private channel that you want to post to. Type
/invite @Geckoboardto invite the Geckoboard app to the channel.
- Return to Geckoboard and refresh the page. Then select the private Channel and a Daily schedule time for the snapshot as normal.
- To finish, click .
We'll attempt to take a snapshot of your dashboard on the hour you've selected. If that first attempt fails because at least one slow-loading widget takes longer than 30 seconds, we'll try again every minute for a total of 10 ten times.
If it fails again you'll see a timed out failure message in Slack. If your snapshots continue to fail, consider shortening time frames on the affected widgets.
If any widgets display a
failed to load widget data message, this won't affect your snapshot.