In this tutorial, we'll show how to display information from your Zendesk data on your Geckoboard dashboard.
The Zendesk integration has been designed for the Zendesk Support product. Adding this data to a dashboard allows you and your team to keep an eye on live ticket volume, spot issues quickly, stay on track to hit your goals and, above all, deliver better service to your customers.
Create a new Zendesk widget
To create a Zendesk widget, follow these steps:
- Click Add widget, located in the top right of your dashboard.
- Search for Zendesk using the Search sources field. Alternatively, you can also scroll down the alphabetical list of integrations until you reach the Zendesk integration.
- Click on the new Zendesk integration.
If this is your first Zendesk widget, you'll need to connect your Zendesk account to Geckoboard. If not, you can skip to configuring your Zendesk widget.
Create a connection with Zendesk
When adding your first Zendesk widget, you'll be asked to create a connection and authenticate your Zendesk account so that we're able to collect your data and display it on the dashboard. You only need to create this connection once – we'll take care of the rest.
To connect your Zendesk account with Geckoboard, follow these steps:
- The authentication box will first ask you to enter the subdomain of your Zendesk account. This can be found from your login details.
Example: If you log in to Zendesk at https://mycompany.zendesk.com, your subdomain is mycompany.
- Click on the Connect button.
Our Zendesk integration uses oAuth to connect to Zendesk, so if you're already logged into Zendesk on your browser, you will jump straight to the widget configuration screen after a few seconds.
If you're not logged in to Zendesk, a popup window will appear and allow you to log in for account authorization.
- You're now ready to configure your first Zendesk widget!
The widget configuration screen enables you to select the visualization you'd like to use, as well as choosing the metrics you want to show and adding any filters to the data.
To configure your Zendesk widget, follow these steps:
- Select the visualization from the options at the top of the build menu.
You'll see a preview of the widget as you create it. This will use real data from your Zendesk account.
Each time you make a change you'll see a message at the bottom left of the preview to indicate whether we're still collecting this data or whether it is complete.
Tip: Using appropriate visualizations can make a world of difference while consuming your dashboards and can help inspire action. We’ve created this handy flowchart which makes it easy to identify the best visualization for the metric you're looking to display.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the Metric you'd like to display.
Note: Business hours are only available to Professional and Enterprise level Zendesk accounts and must be set up within your Zendesk instance in order to be available from us. You can learn more about this and read the instructions for setting it up here.
- For some metrics, we will need additional information on how you would like the metric to be presented. In these cases, an additional dropdown will appear to the left of the metric name and you can select the value you're looking for.
- If you are creating a line or column chart, you may wish to compare more than one metric within the same chart. You can click on the Add metric button above the dropdown Metric menu to select extra metrics to visualize.
Tip: It is possible to compare up to 9 different metrics with a line chart and up to 3 different metrics with a column chart. You can also delete any metrics that you do not wish to include by clicking on the x to the right of the metric name.
Note: It is only possible for us to compare metrics which are measuring the same type of value. It is not possible to compare a percentage with a duration on the same chart, for example.
- If you are creating a line or column chart, and have not chosen additional metrics to compare, you may want to split the data, for example to show performance for particular groups or agents within the same chart.
Tip: It is only possible to use the Split by option when looking at a single metric.
Warning: As with additional metrics, the maximum number of columns available is 3 and the maximum number of line chart series is 9. If more than this is available, you will not see all of the available data.
- You may also need to Group your data by a particular value in order to create a chart or leaderboard so that we know which values to use for rows or for the X-axis of the chart. For example, it's possible to see many of these metrics calculated for particular agents or tags.
- Select a Time value that you would like to see data for.
You can use the Past 7, 14, or 28 days option to track the previous 7, 14 or 28 full days, or the This week, month or year option to show the calendar week, month or year in progress.
Note: We always count the week as beginning on a Monday.
- Add any optional Filters to refine this data and click on the Apply button.
When adding filters, you'll be taken to a new menu and can choose a filter from the dropdown options and a value that you'd like this filter to match.You can filter to show only those values that the data is or to show only those values that the data is not.
Example: If you'd like to see only new and open tickets, you could apply the filter Status is and the options New and Open, or you could apply the filter Status is not and the options Pending, Hold, Solved and Closed.
- If necessary, enable the option to set a Goal and fill in your goal value. You can also specify whether it's a Less than or More than goal.
Note: With any time-based metric the goal value must be given in minutes. For example, a 'First reply time (business)' goal of less than 2 1/2 hours should be added as 150.
- Click on the Add to dashboard button.
Zendesk widget refresh rates
To ensure the data displayed on your dashboard is up-to-date, all our Zendesk widgets automatically refresh after a few minutes.
|Zendesk widget||Refreshes every (mins)|
|Top Ticket Solvers||5|
|Status Bar Chart||5|
|Recent Satisfaction Rating||5|
|Satisfaction Rating RAG||10|